At Għargħur primary, we take the safety of our children and staff very seriously. Our school is prepared to welcome students again and we are taking all necessary measures to make it a safe environment for all during this pandemic.
• Children should not be sent to school if he/she are feeling sick. Consult a doctor.
• Every morning parents/guardians are to check for these symptoms and keep their child at home if any of them are present:
• A temperature of 37.2 oC or higher
• Sore throat
• New uncontrolled cough
• Diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain
• Severe headache
Though sanitising materials will be made available at school, it is important that parents/guardians ensure that every student always carries with them sanitising products such as disinfectant wipes, tissues and hand sanitising gel when attending school.
• Only students registered to use a specific transport route will be allowed to use the service. All students are to keep to the same route and they may not board different vehicles.
• Please inform your child to keep the mask/visor on at all times during the trip and to stay seated where the driver or the on-board supervisor instructs.
• Vehicle operators/drivers will be cleaning high grip areas between each school trip.
• The School Transport Section will be performing spot checks to ensure that this measure is being adhered to.
• Students registered for breakfast club will be provided with a pre-packed breakfast upon their arrival at school.
• Once they collect the pre-packed breakfast they will be led to class or to a designated area (as instructed) so that the classroom bubble is kept.
• Only one parent/guardian (Primary school) is to accompany the student to school.
• We will be using different entrances/exits according to Year groups as indicated below.
• Parents/guardians are to maintain the recommended social distance when waiting outside the school premises and are kindly asked to arrive on time and to leave as soon as their child/ren are admitted in the school. It is also recommended that they wear a face mask or visor.
• Upon arrival students will be asked to sanitise their hands and a temperature check will be taken at the entrance. If a child has a temperature which is equal or higher than 37.2C, he/she will not be able to stay at school.
• As soon as your children enter the school premises, they will be asked to go straight to their classroom or designated area so that the group bubble is maintained.
• Staff will be wearing masks/visors at all times.
• Students need to come to school wearing a visor or a mask.
• Students will also wear their masks in all common areas including corridors and toilets, as well as on school transport.
• In Primary schools, students can remove the mask/visor in class and when doing Physical Education.
• Masks/Visors should be labelled with the child’s name. Please provide a bag or labelled
pocket so that your child can store the mask in it when it is not in use.
• Masks need to be either changed or washed daily. Visors should also be wiped clean and disinfected every day.
• In class, there will be adequate distancing between desks, students and staff.
• We will have staggered breaks to have less students in the yard at the same time. Children will be allowed to play only with children from their own class during breaktime.
• We are encouraging teachers to use outdoor yards to deliver lessons when possible.
• In class/corridors, all windows/doors will be kept open to allow ventilation.
• Unauthorised personnel will not be allowed to enter the school. ONLY students, and authorised personnel will be allowed in school.
• Parents/guardians may not visit school. However, we welcome you to use other forms of communication to communicate with us such as phoning, emails or online means. Details on how to contact us are provided on page 4.
• Before entering the school premises, authorised visitors need to sanitise their hands with the sanitiser provided and their temperature will be checked.
• The school will keep a record and details of all authorised personnel who enter the school premises.
• The school will have stickers in place as needed to support our pupils and staff members to keep social distance.
• An organised system for moving from one place to another in the schools will be in place, ie. all corridors will adopt a keep-left traffic system.
• Assemblies will be held online when children are in class.
• No school outings can take place until further notice.
• Parents’ day/evening will also be held online so parents are encouraged to download Microsoft Teams. Do not hesitate to contact the school, should you need any assistance with downloading it.
• Hand sanitisers will be available around the school and in every classroom.
• We will ensure the best hygienic conditions possible within our school by cleaning our premises thoroughly and frequently. Toilets will also be cleaned regularly and supplied with soap and disposable paper towels.
• If a child starts feeling sick at school, the child will be asked to put on the mask/visor and will be taken to the Isolation Room. Parents/Guardians will be asked to pick up their child immediately and to contact the family doctor.
• If the child has been in contact with anyone who was confirmed as positive to COVID 19 in the last two weeks, the child is to stay at home and the advice of a doctor is to be sought.
• If the child has travelled from a non-corridor country or a country on the amber list in the last 14 days, the child should remain home.
Parents/Guardians are also encouraged to support the wellbeing of all by continuing to:
• Explain to their child that no hugging or shaking hands is permitted.
• Show their child how to properly wash his/her hands with soap and water.
• Teach their child to avoid touching the face, nose, mouth and eyes if they have not washed or sanitised their hands immediately before.
• Teach their child how to use tissues when sneezing/coughing. Children need to be taught how to blow their nose and to dispose of used tissues in the bins provided immediately after use.
Operations for the opening of this scholastic year was carried out with all the partners of the Education Sector in Malta and with the Maltese and foreign Health Authorities. We appeal to work hand in hand and responsibly and to follow all necessary measures to protect each other.
Supervision upon arrival at School
Supervision upon dismissal
Guidelines for Parents
Parents have an important role in keeping their children healthy and safe at school.